Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Can't get files to read on any flash drive

I've been having an issue where I can't read any files from any USB flash drive. I had to use the one provided with the printer for something else and that required me to format it. It was working fine before that and it was the only USB flash drive that would work because every other flash drive I tried was not working. I checked all the cables and they're all fine. Also tried printing from sd card but still no luck. is there something special about how jgaurora formats the drives? I also have the LCD update but I updated that a couple of months back and never gave me problems until now

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited May 2019
    Welcome @Fam4sta

Make sure the drive is formatted as FAT32 not exFAT or NTFS.
    Thanked by 1Fam4sta
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • Fam4staFam4sta Posts: 7Member
    I did make sure its fat32 on both the sd card and USB thumb drive. does the sector size matter? I only did a quick format

Good question - but I don't know. Normally it's 4K from memory.

You're probably already aware, but in the settings on the LCD you can choose whether it looks for files on the SD or USB... so perhaps double check the correct one is still selected.
    I triple checked and even changed, reset and tried again but still no luck. I found it weird that it was only working with this USB thumb drive. and I did copy all the contents from the USB flash drive beforehand but nothing seems special about it. no special files. I might try reverting to factory LCD firmware but I don't know if it'll even read memory like that
    edited May 2019
    Worse comes to worst, I'll have to move stuff around my room to place the printer closer to my computer. I'm pretty sure I'm out of warranty range and I really need some stuff printed
    Post edited by Fam4sta on
    Theres nothing special... maybe the internal USB extension is damaged?
    I'll check that. Maybe I'll even relocate the sd card to make it more accessible with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Extender-Adapter-Monoprice-Raspberry/dp/B073YMTQPT

Okay so big discovery! The reason it was no longer working was that the drive was converted to GPT format since I had to use it to reinstall windows in my pc. To solve this you have to clean the disk and convert to MBR on the command prompt with disk part and I had better luck using the hp USB formatting utility. I was actually able to get multiple drives working like this.
    edited May 2019
    Aha! I forgot about that, nice job! How big was the USB you were using?
    Thanked by 1Fam4sta
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    It was the one provided by jgaurora. It was the 8gb sandisk one

Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches