Home 3D Print Lounge

STL File format no longer downloading on windows 10

Hello! I'm not sure exactly what happened but all the files I now download off thingiverse that are .stl online, end-up in my downloads as 3D object files. My Cura does not recognize 3D objects files. Any ideas on what is causing this and a possible fix? Thanks! 

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Welcome @Beermebae123 ,
    Can you right click on the file, and view properties. Does it show .STL file extension? What does it show instead? Can you post a screenshot?
    Thanked by 1Beermebae123
  • Beermebae123Beermebae123 Posts: 5Member
    Hey Samuel, 

Thanks for getting back to me! I believe my problem has changed... I believe I was able to get the file to download in STL format as seen in the attached picture. However, when i click to open the file nothing happens. I then go into Cura and click to load model file with "All" file types as the search filter in my downloads and the recently downloaded file does not appear. 

Not sure whats going on. 
    edited November 2019
    Hi @Beermebae123 - sorry, I can't see any picture. Can you try attaching again?

Try drag the STL file into the Cura window, that should work if it is really an STL file. Normally files from thingiverse are zip files that need to be extracted first.
    Thanked by 1Beermebae123
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • Beermebae123Beermebae123 Posts: 5Member
    Hey Samuel, 

So i re-downloaded the default cura that came with my A5S and now the files have gone back to downloading as  object files. That said, i dragged and dropped the file into cura and it now loads! So i believe the issue is resolved. Thank you for the help! I subscribed on youtube :) 

Have a great weekend! 
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    Awesome - happy printing :smiley:
    Please note: at the top of the window it says extract - you need to right click on the files you download from thingiverse to extract them before you open them. E.g. Pinkie_Pie_Pony.zip is a compressed file. This page may help:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/show-file-extensions-in-windows