Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

What's optimal current value for all stepper motors in A5?

woszuwoszu Posts: 21Member
edited July 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades
Hi. 
I changed all drivers to TMC2208.

I have information about the maximum current depending on the vref in TMC2208, but I do not know what kind of current I should set for all motors in A5
Post edited by woszu on

Comments

• AETEKAETEK Posts: 106🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Hello,
    I think you mean the TMC2208.
    Please first read the article in the WIKI about TMC2208.
    Then set the VREF voltage all to 1.13V
    That worked for me.
  • woszuwoszu Posts: 21Member
    In case A4988 drivers, Vref is different for each motor. Why???
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Higher current = more noise, more heat (both heating of motor and heating of stepper driver), so with the A4988 we try to use as low vref as possible.
    edited July 2018
    I found this info in modification and tune stepper drivers description. Is it mistake?
    Post edited by woszu on
    Oops, yes, I copied and pasted without changing. I’ll fix it... 

I wonder why the Vref Y axis in TMC2XXX is much larger than the X axis? In the case of A4988 they were similar....

I just took these values from people who had good results - they are not gospel written on stone, they are just suggested starting points.
  • sanjibukaisanjibukai Posts: 34🌟 Super Member 🌟
    • woszu: In case A4988 drivers, Vref is different for each motor. Why???
    In this printer, each axis has different part to move..
    While in the X axis only the head is moving..
    In the Y axis all the bed should move..
    So different values are normal.
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    edited July 2018
    I generally try to keep stepper driver power as low as possible to avoid overheating, but still set high enough to overcome any minor dragging of the nozzle on the printed part to avoid layer shifting. On the A4988 no additional cooling is required, but proper tuning within a smaller margin is required.

For the TMC drivers, they really should be used with cooling, and this cooling allows higher power levels to be used - trying to find the lowest power is less critical then.

I generally try to keep the extruder motor a little on the high side, as in my experience if the extruder motor is skipping steps, this can cause all kinds of hard-to-diagnose problems.

Also, the Z-axis needs to be high, as it is powering two motors, rather than one.

And the Y axis is exactly as @sanjibukai said :smile:

To clarify a little more - the Vref listed for the A4988 are the settings I use myself, but the Vref for the TMC drivers are from other people, as I have not tried tuning those myself yet.
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    edited July 2018
    I totally recommend TMC2208 drivers because the motors are really very quiet. You do not have to change anything from the A4988. They are fit 1:1, compatible axes. I just need to find the right values ​​for Vref :)

Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    Post edited by woszu on