Home JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2 Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Firmware Update for the A5S

aestremsaestrems Posts: 33🌟 Super Member 🌟
Hi all!

I have a JGAurora A5S, I received last week and yesterday I was curious to know witch was the the last firmware installed on the printer and the firmware version is FW_VER: A52018-08-08 9:27:13

So I have the feeling that this version is not the last version. Someone here can tell me if this is the last version?

I know the last Frimware version is on the wiki, but my question is, the proces to install it on the A5S is the same as on the A5? 

Thank’s

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited December 2018
    Hi @aestrems, the version on the wiki is "2018-10-24 10:30:37" - so that is newer than what you currently have.

The process is easy - put the bin file on an SD card, plug in SD card, turn on printer. Flash firmware, printer will continue to normal startup. Take out SD card, the bin file should be automatically gone.
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • aestremsaestrems Posts: 33🌟 Super Member 🌟
    @Samuel Pinches I was right to ask! Thank you Samuel, sounds easy to do! 
  • ruplikminerruplikminer Posts: 1Member
    edited December 2018
    Thanks!
    Post edited by ruplikminer on
  • Frank01xFrank01x Posts: 20Member
    Vielen Dank auch! 
    Frank
  • mcchamberlainmcchamberlain Posts: 3Member
    Where to do find the updated firmware? can you send a link? 
    You can download here: 
    https://jgmakerforum.com/discussion/389/big-news-public-open-firmware#latest 

Or you can send an email to JGAurora asking for the last firmware of the A5S
    edited January 2019
    @mcchamberlain - latest compiled firmware is on the wiki here: https://jgaurorawiki.com/a5s
    Unless JGAurora has released a new version without telling anybody (which is entirely possible... :trollface: )

• mcchamberlainmcchamberlain Posts: 3Member
    When you say "Flash firmware" in the process of updating the firmware how do I put my Printer in the Flash firmware mode?
    edited January 2019
    You don't need to do anything with your printer. You download the firmware, unzip if is necessary and put the .bin file in a empty sd car, insert the sd card in to the printer and turn on the power. it will automatically boot and the installation process will start, wait until the end of the installation and the printer will be updated.  
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    Post edited by aestrems on
  • RobertRobert Posts: 33🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited January 2019
    For those who need the latest firmware here is the file attached. 
    I got the file directly form JGAurora engineer, I have 2 A5S the firmware came with the printer is full of bugs,  update to the latest firmware is essential before start any printing. 

This version allow the heat bed to pre-heat to 110 instead of 100 or 105 only, it also fix the problem where you can't turn off the heatbed or the hotend by press the off button on the LCD.  Before the update, off button only lower the temp on the heatbed and hotend but not all the way down to 0, 20181030 fix this problem. 

I am  not sure the A5sfw1.bin which version number it is,  the 20181030 indicated the date the new firmware was compiled.
    Post edited by Robert on
    Thanks Robert, I'm pretty sure the one on the wiki is 22/11/18, which is .... newer than the one you have uploaded?? Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either... :#
  • Richy_TRichy_T Posts: 142🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited February 2019
    They should have version numbers in there somewhere right? Who's volunteering to install both and see which is what?

It also concerns me somewhat that JGAurora isn't providing this stuff on their site (that I can see).

Also, anyone know how to change the icons? Mine are boring.
    Post edited by Richy_T on
    edited February 2019
    Yes, there is a date on the about screen when you flash the printer. I just haven't had time to check...

Changing icons is a  bit of a mystery too at this stage... I think you will need to open the source code, but that requries an expensive IDE license :disappointed:
    I think the source code is probably in plain text. All the project files would be proprietary though. That's just a guess, however.
  • Ed LaracuenteEd Laracuente Posts: 3Member
    Firmware update A5S  the instructions to load the firmware on SD card and just boot . Must be for a different printer.
    my A5S does not have sd slot  just usb. Can someone explain the instruction howto upload the firmware.

It's a slot just to the left of the LCD.
    Thanked by 1Ed Laracuente
  • RobertRobert Posts: 33🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Samuel,  the firmware I uploaded I just got it from JGaurora on 1/28/19,  it is the same one they send me for my first A5S;   I miss placed the file so I have to ask for it again.  China is on a New Year break until 2/12, I will ask them when they return if a newer firmware is available. 

BTW, now that JGaruroa has release the source code, any chance a custom firmware will be available in the near future?
    @Robert - we are just beginning to make plans for custom firmware on the A5S. It is much more difficult that on the A5.
  • Ed LaracuenteEd Laracuente Posts: 3Member

updating firmware do you need a certain size sd card or brand or formatting?
    I appreciate the help if anyone knows.
    edited February 2019
    Hi @Ed Laracuente , any card 32GB or less should be fine (SDHC or SD).

Don't use 64GB - that is SDXC which I don't think are supported.

Any brand should be fine.

Format should be FAT32, but exFAT may also work, I'm not sure.
    Thanked by 1Ed Laracuente
  • edited March 2019
    My first update firmware. I copy  BIN to SD card  then printer download but stuck after, before update the firmware... "....(blink).... fail". I try change all with other BIN,  but the same. 
    When try again put SD to download firmware, it start download and stuck after 100% downloaded status.
    I notice after, my USB  did not open, now i cant upload by IDE (PlataformIO - I can compile but not upload).
    I have some arduino programmer if it can help. I tried with original SD and other FAT32 - no success
    Some ideas?    
    Post edited by Amarildo Sofientini Lacerda on
    edited March 2019
    Welcome @Amarildo Sofientini Lacerda !

Please format the SD card and try again. That solved that issue for me every time.
  • Congrats, iwork fine.