Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

BMG Dual drive extruder & mount more topwards

Jozko RemenJozko Remen Posts: 21🌟 Super Member 🌟
Hello, would like to know if anybody has BMG cloned extruder from Trianglelabs mounted on his JGAurora A5/A3. Also, I would like to mount it more top so I can shorten a bowden tube as much as possible. Would this work?

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    I know someone who does on the A5S, maybe they can answer some of your questions? @SomeoneYouLike
  • SomeoneYouLikeSomeoneYouLike Posts: 38🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Hello!

Sorry for the late reply, the forums were down. I have the BMG Cloned extruder and it works flawlessly. I even upgraded the bowden tube with a capricon tube. The Steps-per-mm I use for it is E840. 

Here is how my setup looks: 

I am still modifying the printer that is why it still looks messy. I will do cable management once my modifications is done. 

• Regarding your question if you can move the extruder more up top in my opinion, looks and seems unlikely. Furthermore, I have printed a 16 hour print with zero issues using this setup. 
    • I installed the BMG Clone by just taking off the originial JGAurora extruder, but keeping the mount that is actually used by the original extruder and installing the Trianglelabs extruder to that mount. 

More then happy to answer any more of your questions. :)@Jozko Remen
  • Jozko RemenJozko Remen Posts: 21🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Hm, but I clearly see you have moved whole extruder with motor almost to the top, so it IS possible :)
    on your position it's pretty enough for me. What you had to do, buy longer cables to reach main board from that position?

Have you ordered capricorn tube directly from E3D? Does it eliminate stringing? Your steps also seems to be quite big, even for dual drive extruder (double of base value), that's a lot. Can you ellaborate more on this, please?

Thanks!
    edited July 2019
    @Jozko Remen  - the extruder is mounted higher on the A5S from the factory than on the A5 - but I reckon you could probably do a similar thing if you drill some holes in the frame, or design some kind of 3D printed adapter to hold it to the very top of the frame.
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • GandyGandy Posts: 89🌟 Super Member 🌟
    @Jozko Remen: Not wanting to drill holes in the frame without disassembling everything and not quite warming to the idea of actually disassembling the whole Z-gantry, I took another approach: I just reused one of the screws holding the right Z-rod to fix the extruder to the frame, see https://jgmakerforum.com/discussion/comment/4660/#Comment_4660. Mounting it at an angle has the advantage of avoiding tight bents in the bowden tube.

Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    edited July 2019
    I think it shouldn't be needed to disassemble everything, there is an access and enough clearing to hold nut for screw behind Z-axis rod (but it requires flexible fingers). And it's also possible to just screw the mount on it's right side (it should hold pretty firmly).

Sam – yeah I realized it's photo of A5S.

Regarding capricorn tube, as I read directly on E3D reviews from users, it's no miracle. I think mounting better extruder and shortening bowden tube as much as possible should be enough.
    Post edited by Jozko Remen on
    SomeoneYouLike, regarding BGM extruder, you had to change motor direction, right? You did it in firmware or by changing polarity with connector?
  • Laser8302Laser8302 Posts: 170Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    I'm running the BMG extruder in the same spot as factory on my A5. Since it runs fine in either direction, you can just rotate it to whatever direction you want. It's personal preference which way you want the filament to run with a bowden setup. I've seen them run either direction.
  • halifhalif Posts: 4Member
    edited May 2020
    Hi Guys! I have a problem with BMG, but in fact more with my A5S mainboard, i suppose.

I installed BMG, works fine. Calibrated extruder (mine was 795steps/mm) everything worked fine till powered off. Despite remembering value with M500, after turning the printer on, returns  the factory value - as far as i remember - 205steps/mm.

Any solution? I can add it to every startup g-code, but would prefer some more solid idea.
    Post edited by halif on
  • Stephen ToddStephen Todd Posts: 281🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Re. "I can add it to every startup g-code" - in that case just add it to the slicer g-code start box -  it will then run automatically for everything you print without you having to do it more than once

@halif - are you using the factory firmware or the custom firmware? Factory firmware has no eeprom support at all.
    edited May 2020
    Factory. Just as i fought. I added it to startup g-code. Not so perfect, but works. I'm sure, i'm gonna forget to add it after some CURA update. Then im gonna look for solution incorrect extruder flow :D 

Thx guys!

EDIT: wont make new topic. Is there any chance to bake own Marlin firmware with similar, colorful icon TFT support?
    Post edited by halif on
    When you edit a post we don't get notified. RE icons - no, not yet.
    Understood, btw. Samuel, u did awsome job! Thx!
  • Laser8302Laser8302 Posts: 170Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    There's a program out there that can convert the icons. I think it's BMP2LCD or something like that. It tends to shift the last 2-3 rows of pixles to the other side of the icon though.
  • kartal2_ocalkartal2_ocal Posts: 5Member
    Hi
    I have inserted BMG and entered the highlighted value, but the printer does not save to memory.
    what exactly is the solution? and how do i apply it?
    Why JG Does Not Allow While Other Brand Printers Allow Such Interventions
    Can you help me in this matter?

Samuel Pinches halif 

Welcome @kartal2_ocal - The standard JGAurora firmware does not support eeprom. Are you using the standard firmware or the  community firmware?
    edited November 2020
    As Sam mentions, you need to use custom, not stock Marlin. Just use 2.0 from official repo, configuration files for JGAurora can be downloaded there too (it's a whole pack for all the printers).

Also, for dual gear extruder your steps/mm are very high, for BMG 410-420 is good. You CAN'T and SHOULDN'T measure needed steps/mm by extruding filament through hotend. Instead, disconnect bowden tube from hotend, cut filament right at the end of it (as it goes to hotend) and let extrude say, 100 mm. Measure how much has been extruded FROM the tube, not from hotend. Otherwise you will have to change steps/mm for each filament you have, instead of just adjusting flow rate in slicer.
    Post edited by Jozko Remen on
    edited November 2020
    Samuel Pinches 

As Out Of The Box

Post edited by kartal2_ocal on
    Jozko Reme

I do as you say okay.  Let's Solve the Problem Permanently First
    edited November 2020
    You can download a community firmware to try here: https://firmware.jgmakerwiki.com/

Community firmware will allow you to save settings onto SD card ("virtual EEPROM").

If you don't like it, you can go back to the factory firmware easily.

Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    edited November 2020
    Samuel Pinches 

The Visual Is Very Bad.  Medieval

Post edited by kartal2_ocal on
    Can't We Change the Interface Screen?