Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

MKS Gen_L V2.0

Hey all, does anybody have any experience with the V2.0 board of makerbase? I will be receiving one momentarily and I was wondering if the pinouts are going to be comparible to the V1.0 board so I don't have to figure all of this out. I tried to find a datasheet of the board but couldn't find a complete one either. 
If anybody has the datasheets or the info that would help greatly. 

Comments

• coolt5coolt5 Posts: 38🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited September 2019
    I couldn’t find MKS Gen_L V2.0 - can you share a link?
    Thanked by 1Joshua Loos
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • Joshua LoosJoshua Loos Posts: 7Member
    edited September 2019
    if you change the board to include the 2208 in sale you will see the V2.0 version of this board. also the information in the discription is all I could find with regards to the board. I couldnt find anything online except for the sales pages.

Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • GandyGandy Posts: 89🌟 Super Member 🌟
    From the photos it appears that the MKS GEN_L V2.0 can configured with jumpers to connect UART or SPI signals to the drivers (for TMC2208 and TMC2130, respectively), much like the Bigtreetech SKR V1.3. Other than that it appears to still have the 8bit Mega2560. If you want to use your TMC drivers with serial interface (UART or SPI), you save yourself a lot of trouble making cables for that purpose. Bear in mind that you will have to compile a firmware with the right signals for UART or SPI, though. You may be the first one to create a board definition file for the V2.0.

If you want more processing power coming with the benefit of these prerouted UART/SPI connections, I'd recommend to consider going for the 32-bit Bigtreetech SKR V1.3 which has the same physical dimensions as the MKS GEN_L V1.0 and runs just fine with Marlin 2.0.

yeah I had the V1.0 board with the TMC drivers in UART that suddenly stopped working measured everything and concluded that one of the traces on the MKS pcb was broken. Thats why I ordered a new one. I'll start with testing when it comes in and keep you posted on the progress. 

I already have a SKR on my second A5 but wanted to keep working with the Mega2560 in at least one of them to see how they compare to each other.
    Update on the installation of the V2.0:

pins assignements are the same as original MKS Gen L v1.0
    the only and biggest difference I have found so far is the change of uart mode where you dont need tot connect any wires but just insert a jumper, the resister needed is also on the PCB so just marlin changes are needed. the power management of the board is changed aswell where there is now less heat generated by the voltage regulaters so a bit less cooling is needed. 

I will try and install a bl-touch and some other peripherals to check if everything works the same in those areas aswell but I assume they will since the changes aren't major compared to the old board. 

• ChristianChristian Posts: 6Member
    Has anybody used a MKS GEN L V2.0 with the JGAURORA A5 and what should be changed in the firmware and how good does it work.?
    @Christian no changes are needed the V2.0 uses the same pinouts as the v1.0 so if you upload the marlin firmware just the way you are used to it will work perfectly. 
    However.... if you haven't bought the new board yet it is much more sensible to upgrade to a 32 bit board instead. they cost the same and have a lot more umphf in calculating power. 
    Thanked by 2Gandy Samuel Pinches
  • Stephen ToddStephen Todd Posts: 281🌟 Super Member 🌟
    The SGEN_L 32 bit board has my attention - waiting for somebody to see if it works in A5/A5s/A3s V1 and V2 printers without too much hassle

They are available on aliexpress for less than £12 including shipping

Typical sales blurb - "Makerbase 32-Bit MKS SGen_L Smoothieware and Marlin 2.0 control board approval TMC2208 and TMC2209 uart mode TMC2130 spi mode"

Or, what about a "Makerbase MKS Rumba32 180MHZ 32-Bit 3d printer control board 6 Motor Driver Ports support Marlin 2.0 MKS TFT TMC2209 TMC2208" for less than £24

Unfortunately, Makerbase don't give out much more than sales bumph - but maybe there are some forums?

• Laser8302Laser8302 Posts: 170Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    I just killed my 2nd SKR v1.3 board. Went to change my 0.4mm nozzle to a 0.8mm nozzle, and my wrench shorted the thermistor (AGAIN!!!) and killed the board.

So I ordered an MKS SGEN_L V1.0, should be a straight replacement with a couple small firmware tweaks.
  • doug_scottdoug_scott Posts: 1Member
    edited December 2020
    I see it is an old thread, but, Makerbase released a new board a few months ago that has what most in this thread were looking for.  Its the MKS SGEN_L V2.0.  See Makerbase MKS SGen_L V2.0 3D Printer Parts 32Bit Control Board 120MHZ MCU TMC2208 TMC2209 TMC2225 uart mode|3D Printer Parts & Accessories| - AliExpress for the board.  
    Post edited by doug_scott on