Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

A5 heatbed mod to get higher temps – possible?

Jozko RemenJozko Remen Posts: 21🌟 Super Member 🌟
Hi,
I would like to know if it's possible to get stock heatbed to higher temps than 110 °C. And if somebody did so. Can the glass handle, say, 135 °C temps? 

Or complete changeover to silicon based heat pads is required?

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Probably an upgrade to 480W 24W power supply, or a silicon heat pad. Glass itself should be fine, but not sure about the glass coating -- probably fine though.
  • rhaub101rhaub101 Posts: 89🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Just curious why you want 135?
  • Jozko RemenJozko Remen Posts: 21🌟 Super Member 🌟
    To print more demanding materials like Polycarbonate? I don’t print toys and nonsense objects from Thingiverse, I design my own projects and do purely functional prints. For such, getting as high temp as possible would be fine.
    What hotend temperature do you use? Have you replaced the PTFE liner with an all metal hotend?
    edited November 2020
    It depends. For PETG 240 °C, but want to print Carbon Nylon so – 280 - 350 °C. Have completely redesign Xcarriage and mount for E3D V6 as well as BLTouch, once I get all my parts (printed with Ultem 1010 in highend 3d printing shop) I will post my design to thingiverse.
    Didn't liked overhelming, huge conversions that are already made, E3D V6 is light and all those conversions I saw were completely luckluster. Missing detailed pictures, documentation, huge, bulky, overcomplicated.

Therefor I made my own, simple design. Only front alluminium part remains. Other than that – stock fans (but replaced with more powerful 30 mm than stock), titanium heatbreak, brass heatblock, HSS nozzle, T D500 thermistor. Updated to Marlin 2.0.x with tuned up config.

Adding some files from my redesign:

Simulation of air flow from fan duct:

Fan duct itself

Finally, X carriage and fan duct printed from Ultem 1010 (PEI), should widthstand up to 215 °C:

All other parts are printed in industrial Zortrax Z-Ultrat filament, their own high temp ABS mod:

Fan duct will be mounted on strong neodymium magnets dia 3x2 mm, placed on screws of the main fan. Therefor I can remove it anytime when wanting to print high temp filaments like Carbon filled Nylon. It should widhstand high temps as it's from Ultem but why to have it there when I blow only on PLA that I don't print that much anyway…
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    Post edited by Jozko Remen on
  • GandyGandy Posts: 89🌟 Super Member 🌟
    How do you simulate the air flow, which software are you using?
    SimScale, web app, have to learn it a lot. It has some limitations (or I wasn't able to find how to do it) like simulation of airflow impact on temperature radiation and temperature transfer between non-connected objects via air.
    Very nice @Jozko Remen ! Renders look very classy!
    Thanks. And all of this started just because I was dumb idiot and when replacing hotend on original X carriage I screwed heatbreak into heatsink that much until I broke it and it was stuck inside. So I told to myself “heck with that, wanted to move to E3D anyway“ and redesigned whole thing from scratch.

Since I left my job last month I'm thinking where to move in my carreer and well, I'm looking for industrial 3D printers to print PEI, PEEK etc but those are out of budget, so more and more I have such idea to recreate some CoreXY design, wrap it into well insulated chamber, add some custom made heaters and, well, you get the idea :)
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches