Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Z- won't respond, please advise!

Hi all-

Took about 6 months off from my A5 because I was spending way more time fixing things than printing. I expected some fiddle time but nothing like this.

Most recent problem was melted plastic was leaking from somewhere above the heating block, and in the course of trying to take the whole shebang apart to clean all the pieces, I ran the gantry pretty high on the Z axis, like almost up into the frame.

Now I can't get Z- to respond at all, as if the 'operating system' has rewritten where the bed is or something. At the risk of damaging things I did run the gantry of 20mm more with Z+, and from there Z- will respond - but only 20mm then it freezes again.

Someone please tell me there's a better solution here than turning it off and using the threaded rods by hand to get it down again - I can't even fit my hand around the rod on the spool side...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited February 2020
    Hi @Learning_Curve - welcome back

is your z endstop working? Do you know how to use gcode command M119 to check?
    Thanked by 1Learning_Curve
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • Learning_CurveLearning_Curve Posts: 7Member
    hi samuel-

thanks for replying. i don't have any idea what that is or how to do it, but at least it gives me something to search for - thank you!

matthew
  • Stephen ToddStephen Todd Posts: 281🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Download and install the free program "pronterface" - lets you test limit switch normal status and manually triggered status

Some info on this page:

• Learning_CurveLearning_Curve Posts: 7Member
    you two tag-team problems often, i see!

i DLd pronterface then went and started reading through the post you linked. as i started reading i started remembering some of the things i had learned a year ago when i first started using the printer (my first) before getting frustrated and shelving it for a while.

i am embarrassed to admit that i had forgotten about the ability to try and "override" my Z axis issue by making the printer level the bed. i hit the level one button and the gantry came right down to the bed  :#

i know that not investigating and "properly" fixing whatever this issue will probably lead me back to this forum - and maybe this post, hah - eventually, but for now i'm going to spare myself the unpleasantries of troubleshooting and jump back into printing.

thank you both so much for taking the time to help, i am really appreciative.
    matthew
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    You're welcome Matt. I'm grateful to all members who help out answer questions - so thank you @Stephen Todd  too!!
  • Laser8302Laser8302 Posts: 170Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    If you ran your gantry up high enough, you may need to level your X-axis again to get good flat prints.
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches