Home JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2 Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Bed Thermal Runaway and Display barely working

So I was leveling my bed and the tip ran into one of the metal clips that holds the bed on and it shut down. I turned the machine back on and the display wasn't working. It's really dim, the touch screen doesn't work, and it's giving a message of:
"BED THERMAL RUNAWAY"
"PRINTER HALTED"
"Please Reset"
I'm using the open-source firmware from this forum. I disconnected the bed and the gantry and it's still giving me this message. I'm thinking this is an electrical issue with the board, but I'm not sure if it's repairable or not. has anybody had experience with this?

Comments

• GNWarriorGNWarrior Posts: 6Member
    I've been looking for a replacement board but I can't seem to find an exact replacement, everyone seems to be sold out. Does anybody have any recommendations for a replacement?
  • giantrobot2001giantrobot2001 Posts: 106🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited July 2020
    $35  It's the Authentic JG store. They have 478 on hand

Actually, I already paid $70 for a new A5S board from them.  They Air shipped it in a couple weeks and it was a new factory board. I was happy. but I'm really happy they lowered the price to half.  I moaned and groaned about that purchase, and I started a thread about it ....
    But I can vouch for this JG store at AliExpress, they are great, but some of the more generic parts you can find lower than the authentic JG.  Be careful though some of the JG components use different voltages and stuff.
    Post edited by giantrobot2001 on
    but I wonder how you "reset" the thermal runaway protection.  Sorry, I'm a noob still, but one of the other members will likely give us some insight.  Is this an A5S?
    This is an A5S
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    @GNWarrior - this error is a safety message. It will occur if you are setting the bed to a temperature where the power supply doesn't have enough power to keep it at that temperature. What temperature were you heating the bed to?
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Wait, I reread your message. Sounds like the temperature input has been fried on the motherboard, so it will give this message immediately. Unfortunately, you will need to replace the motherboard to fix this.
    Thanked by 1giantrobot2001
    and the price jumped back up :'(
    I ordered a different board that I'm going to retrofit in. It's an ender 3 board, the SKR mini E3 V2.0, so we'll see how that goes.
    there is an SKR swap thread somewhere here.  It seems like it might be easier to jump over to a mks gen L v2.0.  When I get brave and stop buying JG boards, that's where I'll probably go