Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

Does Marlin automatically send temperature readings?

AETEKAETEK Posts: 106🌟 Super Member 🌟
Hi,
If you use Pronterface Software  or a display, then the values of the Nozzle and the Heated Bed will be transmitted regularly. I believe that Marlin sends the data automatically (without request of the recipient), is that correct?

I know, I ask strange questions. But when you develop something, things like that matter. ;)

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited July 2018
    I'm pretty sure that they are sending M105 to request an update each time, but there is also M155 which can also be used to setup marlin to sent updates at a set interval. I don't think the temperature updates are automatic unless you use one of those commands.
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • AETEKAETEK Posts: 106🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Hi,
    I'm not sure about that. My Velleman 3D Printer  has Marlin 1.1.8 ,too.
    There I have my 20 x 4 LCD Text display (HD44780 Controller). The display controller is not able to send Gcodes, only receiveing Display commands.
    My display also shows the Nozzle and Heated Bed Temperatures. So I think Marlin sends this itself.
    It seems I will have to investigate...

Cheers
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    For character display, I thought that marlin controls those directly? This is different to the MKS lcd on the A5, that is a separate system entirely, that does communicate using gcode.
  • AETEKAETEK Posts: 106🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Hello,
    I've studied the subject and it's like this:
    Marlin automatically sends the temperature data to the LCD monochrome display. These displays are internally connected directly to the ATMEGA ports. You have to tell Marlin exactly which display you have connected there. Then Marlin sends the data without request.
    For displays connected via AUX1 (= serial) (such as the MKS TFT28 in the A5), the periodic, automatic transmission of the data can be requested via the GCODE M155. But there is the possibility to disable this option in the Marlin firmware. My concern is that I have several clients on the serial port. If several data are simultaneously sent to the MKS GEN_L mainboard, data becomes garbage. Therefore, you must prevent clients from sending data without being prompted. The serial transmission in the ATMEGA is not prepared for such cases. I have to see if I can find a compromise.