Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

Stepper drivers and print quality problem

SystemSystem Posts: 19Administrator
This discussion was created from comments split from: New here? Come say hi!.

Comments

• skysurferskysurfer Posts: 37🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited July 2018
    Now i come with first issue.

First i like to tell the story why i come to it.
    The first prints with my A3S where ok. Now this printer have ca. 350 print hours on it and as longer time
    i have issue with the connection the outside perimeters,blobs by every starting perimeter and after a longer printtime it looks that the extruder motor loos steps.The rest from the print looks not bad.
    What i have done:
    - change the standard firmware to the cutomize firmware
    - played with the parameters from S3D -> no better result by alle the the issue
    - worked with retract and Z-lifting -> no better result by alle the the issue
    - calibrate the Vref according the Wikipage https://jgaurorawiki.com/a5/stepper-drivers

SOLL             |      IST       | change

Axis = VRef       |                  |

------------------------------------------------------

X = 0.4 - 0.55V  | 0,4908 V | nothing

Y = 0.4 - 0.6V    | 0,4940 V | nothing

Z = 0.7 - 0.85V  | 0,8082 V | nothing

E = 0.55 - 0.6V  | 0,4652 V | 0,5871 V

- build in a fan to cool the driver -> no better result by alle the the issue
    - like to change the stepper motor with an Geeetech motor 42HS3418-24B20, because i have a feeling the standard motor have some issue. But this Geeetech motor like not to run. When i like to meld, this motor make "blong" and this was it. So i have rebuild to the standard motor.

now i like to change the standard driver to DRV8825 driver, because this driver i have her.
    By controlling the pin out, i find the reason, why the Geeetech motor like not to run.
    The pin out from the standard driver to the DRV8825 driver are different. see the attachet figure.

I could not understand how i can use the DRV8825 driver with this A3S.
    i have read in the i-net, that somewhere have changed to the TMC21.. driver, but nothing about the changing from the motor connectors.

can somewhere help me ?

Post edited by skysurfer on
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Can you show us a photo of what you mean by the extruder motor losing steps?

I have used the DRV8828 before on other printers... I don't think you need to change the motor wiring?

I understand the pinout is different, but I don't remember having to change any wiring. It is important to note that they are not oriented the same way! One has the potentiometer at the top, one has it at the bottom.

photos from here

If you want to use the TMC driver, you can use the TMC2208. If you use the TMC2130 or TMC2100 you will need to change the stepper driver motion direction in the firmware.
    edited July 2018
    The geeetech motor probably did not work because it had a different wiring sequence for the motor coils. If you change the order of the geeetech wires (you can find the motor coils with a multimeter and compare to the JGAurora motors) you should be able to use those motors on the A5.
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • skysurferskysurfer Posts: 37🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Hi Samuel,

many thanks for moving this thread to the right place B)

Now i have found out, why the Geeetech motor will not work with A3S.
    The reason on it are the connectors from the motors.
    The A3S have an 4-pin connector and the
    Geeetech motor 6-pin. Here are 2 pins free. this is the second and the fifth.

About the driver:
    for my self it's planned to use the TMC2208 for the future about the noise.
    For now, i use the DRV8825 for all axis, also for the extruder.
    I like to find out that the extruder motor is defect or not.
    Actually i think not. But i like to know it.

Now we come to the next issue. For this i'l make new thread ;)
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    Excellent :-) 
    I don't like the DRV8825 - they are noisy, and they run very hot.
    It is a shame there is no official standard for stepper motor wiring - it would make this easier.