Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

A5 Direct Drive Modification

SystemSystem Posts: 19Administrator
This discussion was created from comments split from: Important things to know regarding stepper upgrade with TMC 2130 with SPI.

Comments

• MattMatt Posts: 314🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited November 2018
    I would like to design a direct mount to substitute the current bowden: do you think that a nema 11 (or at least a 14) stepper (or similar brand and kind) could be used for it? For I guessed that even the 17 pancakes seem too wide to be mounted without changing the whole printhead (whose wideness is related to the x-axis stopper mounted on the printead itself: unless one would move the x-stepper, enlarge the x-belt and drill the frame to lodge the stepper towards the rightmost corner...). A 11 might be very small, but eventually I may be wrong, if they got enough power for the task.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    @Matt There is actually a kit someone has made for this - check out the JG Titan MK II. I have one and it is awesome. The IR probe doesnt work well on glass, so unless you're going to go PEI or magnetic bed sheet, don't bother with that. But the fan upgrade is good, and the direct drive extruder is AWESOME.
    edited November 2018
    There's also various designs on thingiverse - I've made a collection of designs, link is on the jgaurora wiki mods page.
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    Oh, and of course you've already seen the other thread too: https://jgmakerforum.com/discussion/86/a5-direct-drive-dual-extruder#latest
  • MattMatt Posts: 314🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Hi Matt. Yes, you already suggested the Titan stuff. But it is very bulky and costly, I a. I would like to buikld something lighter but still goodly working. If anybody would cooperate, I'll be grateful and perhaps we might even think to share also some material satisfactions, if the printhead would come out professionally looking and working.