Home JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2 Getting Started & Troubleshooting

E Steps Calibrating Issues

Hey guys,

Tom here! First of all I wanted to thank you for this awsome platform!

Well I recently bought an A5S and was actually quite happy with it. But 3 days ago I wanted to make my prints more accurate an decided to calibrate the E Steps. What meanwhile drives me nuts. Before I just got massive overextrusion but now I cant figure it out at all. 

At first I was confident with what I did to the e steps so I started to experiament what flow I need. But suddenly I started to get underextrusion. When I then checked the e steps again there was another value than I did save earlier.

First I got Pronterface, but I could only extrude when I hit the Extrude Button! When I type G1 E100 F100 the extruder Motor runs backwards or way too much foward.

Then I downloaded Repetier host and it all looked as it would work but when I save the new e steps value an then disconnect the laptop and switch the printer off and on again It still has the "old/wrong" e steps value.

Now I tried again with Pronterface but it just wont work.....especially as I type in the commands directly. Right now it pushed something like 30cm of Filament backwards after I typed in G1 E100 F100. And the next thing is when I let it extrude 3 times 100mm I get 3 times different results! I don't even know how this is possible!! And the extruder is not skipping steps!!! Not now at least.....been through 2 clogged nozzels yesterday.

I use M503 to get the actual e Steps
M92 E..... for the new and M500 to save them.

Does anyone have a idea? Or am I just too stupid??

Thanks in advance!!!!

Cheers Tom
Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    @tomtom - welcome :smiley: 
    Make sure you have put your printer into relative extrusion mode before manually moving. http://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/G091.html

You will also need to install the custom firmware for the M500 to be accepted.

Cheers,
    Sam

• aestremsaestrems Posts: 33🌟 Super Member 🌟
    @Samuel Pinches @tomtom has the A5S so no custom firmware for this machine maybe this is the reason why is not saving correctly in the machine, isn't it?
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    Oh ... Doh! I didn't read carefully enough. Yes - I don't think the A5S is calibrate-able (if that is a word).
    Thanks @aestrems

You may be able to set the steps per mm manually by adding commands to your slicer start gcode, but I am pretty sure the EEPROM saving is disabled.
  • tomtomtomtom Posts: 17Active Member
    Hey guys thanks a lot for your answers!!!

As I found outthat I can set a new value but after switching the Printer off its set back to the old one!! 

So basically the last 4 days where pretty senseless as I tried to calibrate an uncalibrate-able firmware!? *damn*

But at least I could not set anything completely wrong!! ;)

You mean I should try to add M92 E.... in the slicer start gcode? 

I'll give it a try!

Another thing.....is it possible to change the tension of the extruder Motor towards the Filament? I can't find anything for the A5S (A5). The printer started to skip steps as I changed to Petg. Or can it be that the 245°C are not hot enough? The filament is ratet from 230-250°. But I already got a fair amount of stringing so I guess it should be hot enough?!

Let us know if work with the M92 E... in the start of the gcode, maybe i will try too.

Is your extruder motor skipping steps with PLA? If not I will increase the temperature, just be carefull the PTFE tube can melt form 250°C
  • tomtomtomtom Posts: 17Active Member
    Alright guys it seems that it is working as I did put M92 E..... in the start gcode!!! Thanks @Samuel Pinches !!!!

As I start the printer via Repetier it says E202, but when the print strarting (with the new start gcode) it says the value I put in the start gcode!!! Finally its going in the right direction!!!!  :+1:

I'm gonna try to calibrate it again in the evening!! Just wanted to know if its working and let you guys know!!! 

cheers
    Awesome, thanks for the update @tomtom !
    @tomtom Great!! I will give a try too 
  • SomeoneYouLikeSomeoneYouLike Posts: 38🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Where in the start GCODE did you put it? Or does it even matter and I can put in anywhere in the text? @tomtom