Homeβ€Ί JGAurora A5 & A3Sβ€Ί Modifications & Upgrades

Font of the MKS TFT + costume starting picture

Der_MuckDer_Muck Posts: 265🌟 Super Member 🌟
edited March 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
Hi,
I try to mod. the TFT style a little bit after I upgraded to the 3.0.3vΒ 
I mixed the original firmware with the config. from the community firmware but with little changes.
Works well so far. I also made myself a more professional looking starting screen. You can also have it if you want, the file is added here.
t

So my question is: Is it passible to change the font of the display? I hate that used font of the JGs display so much, it looks simply cheap. I tryed to turn a windows font into a .bin file but it doesnt do anything on the display after updateing it.
In the update files there are font files add. Its impassible to open them, that makes it impassible to find out what they used and how to change it.Β Β 
Do you have a idea how to do it?

Post edited by Der_Muck on
Β«1

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Is that laser sintering or EHLA? :smiley:Β  nice work.

There is no way to change the font, I think. But, I think you can turn the font off in the mks config, and burn the labels into the button images.
  • Der_MuckDer_Muck Posts: 265🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Hehe yeah its a EHLA :D its more action in the picture XD and metal 3D prints would be the goal ;)

The font is off in the buttons, its about the upper task what gives you informations about in what menu you are.
    I tryed to turn it black but than other text is covered to.
    As I found out, the font files are chinese fonds. GBK16 and UNIGBK are chinese 16bit fonts as I think.
    Maybe its passible to add 16bit fonds with english fonds on it but the problem is, how MKS called those english fonds. Without the right file name its impassible.
    edited March 2019
    The font is 1 bit. This is a section of the extracted font from the GBK16.bin file, in the mks_font folder. It is a 1 bit (black and white) file, 16px wide.

Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    How did you extract it? Can it be changed? Than its not the chinese font
    if you can update this png with the desired font I can probably prepare this into a GBK16.bin file.
    edited March 2019
    I used a powerful image software, "GraphicConverter", but it is only available on mac. I think there would be other tools for windows, like irfanviewer or faststone that might be able to do the same.
    Ah ok I have it open in Photoshop I hope I can add a total font to it otherwise its a pixelgame XD
    Exactly... not fun. Good luck!
    You may want to try some free software to make it easier to convert a font to bitmap, and automate part of this task:

Thanked by 1Der_Muck
    Cool thanks!Β  Β Hahaha I tryed it in PS but its awwwfull I am no designer XD
    edited March 2019
    Lets try it with that, I did it manualy because those programs drive me crazy :D
    edited March 2019

this should work... please see attachment.

The ascii data starts at byte position 209792 (33380h), and goes for 2976 (BA0h) bytes. The characters are encoded as 1bit black and white, in 16x16pixel chars.

Thanked by 1Der_Muck
    How cool, lets see what it looks like :)
    Thanks Sam!!!
    Ok well :D it doesnt change anything :D
    Did you replace GBK16.bin in the mks_font folder when flashing?
    :D ofcause otherwise I wouldnt have anything to flash :D Just renamed it, got it on the SD card and watch it flashing,
    But no effect on the font on the display,
    hmm... if you flash without that file, what happens?
    nothing, there would be only the unigbk.bin on it and it would only reflash that file.
    Strangely, when you flash the wrong file it is like it is protected, it simply has no error than and ignore the new flash
    edited March 2019
    I'm sorry, I'm really out of good ideas. :disappointed:

Can you try change mks_config.txt

#multi-language(enable:1, disable:0)
    >cfg_multiple_language:1

If you set to english, does it use your new font on the button labels then?

edited March 2019
    One moment I try it ;)

Nope it doesnt change anything in the other languages to.
    But I found out that the font on the display is a differnt to the font you have send me, the g looks different than the font you send here for example. There must be a different font to change
    edited March 2019
    Looks like its a Unifont like that:Β https://wiki2.org/en/GNU_Unifont
    I mean the g looks like the one on that page and in the line you have send it looks like here in the forum
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    edited March 2019
    Ooooh! :open_mouth: Nice find!

Still no idea why it's not working... perhaps there is a separate font in the main firmware bin file.

Maybe yes maybe its part of the tft basic firmware, the font looks just a normal programming font which is normaly in the background and overlayed from the user surface. An indicator is the upper task what says in which part of the firmware you are. If the user surface is overlayed, that wouldnt be visible. Maybe it is that way
    GBK is apparently a chinese character set

edited March 2019
    this bitmap font was in the main firmware file, at around 216256b (34CC0h), approx 3296b (CE0h) in length.

Yeah that with the GBK i knew.Β 
    The problem with that font is, that it also not the right one, it looks different to the font in the display, how strange is that. Why is such a font in the firmware :dizzy:

edited March 2019
    ok... one more :lol: (8x13 pixel font)

at 182976b, 15168b long.

Thanked by 1Der_Muck
    Yeahhh thats it! Good job and there are the numbers to :D we give it a try... And again.. pixle game maaannn
    of course... you can invert it first, and then invert it later on... :wink: good luck lol, fingers crossed...
    Lets give it a try, now it looks a little better not like out of the writing machine :D