Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

Upgrades to my A5 - BLtouch, controller fan and cold end fan control

Laser8302Laser8302 Posts: 170Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
So I set out to do these upgrades and it took me WAY to long I think. I would have liked to have this done sooner but I digress.

My goal was this:
Install BLtouch clone for automatic bed leveling
Install case lights for when all the lights are off in the basement my printer has light for octoprint webcam
Install a way to control the cold-end fan using the marlin firmware fan control
Install TMC2208 controller in legacy mode (for now...)
Install a controller fan, and use "use controller fan" in the firmware

I printed a new mount for a 5015 fan from thingiverse, that included the BLtouch mounts.
Once I had that installed, I opened the case and started adding things:

A couple things I learned:
The Marlin 1.1.9C firmware has a slight issue when using the BLtouch for me. It would come down the first time, trigger then when it was supposed to increase Z and probe again it just ran more into the bed. I think I might need new Z couplers sooner than later.
I went back to Marlin 1.1.8C comunity firmware.
I was confused why when using the UBL auto leveling, the probe points were so close to the edge of the bed. I found a setting called 
#define MESH_INSET 1
Due to adding some clips to hold down my bed better, I increased this to 40mm so that my nozzel/part cooling fan doesn't hit my clips.

Next up, try to get the Z offset correct then try a print!
Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches

Comments

• Laser8302Laser8302 Posts: 170Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    edited May 2019
    The relay controller was $4 from my local microcenter.
    They are active low so I connected the outputs to the normally closed connection. This gives me a "fail safe" fans on if I lose the controller/the relay board becomes disconnected.
    I connected one to my fan for the motor controllers, and the other for the cold-end fan.

One note on 
    #define MESH_INSET
    this is meant as a boundary around the bed, from the outside in. If your probe is going too far and you're having errors, increase this value so that the boundary for probing stays within your usable bed area.
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
    Post edited by Laser8302 on
  • ApocalypseApocalypse Posts: 28Member
    Is there any easy way to install a BLtouch on this printer? i have been looking around as im new to this model and have never used a BLtouch as my first printer was a POS haha. You should make a video on installing a BLT on this machine (for Newbs). The uneen bed is the only issue i have with this thing right now..
  • Laser8302Laser8302 Posts: 170Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Sorry I posted this in the wrong section. I have an A5, not A5S.

Can a mod please move this to the correct forum?