Home JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2 Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Hotend smoking and dripping water? (Freaking out)

Hey guys, so I got the new JGAurora firmware installed and tried to print from Simplify3d. The movement of the machine was slow and all over the build plate so I had to stop the print. Then then machine froze and I couldn't do anything on the front LCD panel. Then I noticed the hot end either smoking or releasing vapor and the hot end had water dripping out of it and vaporizing on the printer bed. I'm freaked out now and dont know how that is possible? Anyone ever heard of this?

Comments

• ApocalypseApocalypse Posts: 28Member
    It now smells kind of like ozone in my house now..
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited May 2019
    Keep the printer off first of all, and try to ventilate your room. It sounds like the hotend has overheated significantly, which is very concerning.

PLA (poly-lactic-acid) breaks down into individual lactic acid molecules when overheated, which is a liquid. Lactic acid is not dangerous but it indicates that the PLA has exceeded ~240C.

The hotend releasing steam would not be so bad, but if it is smoke it would be very concerning. The thing you really don't want to overheat is the PTFE tubing, as that releases harmful vapours as it breaks down above 260C, and it breaks down more rapidly as the temperature goes up even further.

Inside the heat break throat (circled in red below) there is a PTFE liner. I would recommend to disassemble the hot end to check if that is burned.  It will need replacement if so.

DaHai has a good video on this procedure here:

It sounds like the main CPU completely froze, and the hot end temperature was not controlled, and was left on. This is a big safety risk that I am very concerned about - can you please share the gcode file you used? I'm going to remove the firmware and investigate.

Thanked by 1Apocalypse
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
    I dont know if I have the gcode as I turned everything off.. I was trying to print something small to test bed adhesion. I dont even have all the tools I need to test this hot end down.. I'm thinking of just returning this machine. It's been a nightmare so far..

I wouldn’t blame you for trying to return it.  It’s definitely not a good start.  All I can say is that this problem I’ve never seen before on these printers.
    Yeah I have 3 days to return it to Amazon so I just got it packed back up. I appreciate all the help you have given me Sam. Totally quick on responses and informative. I cant day thanks enough and you're vital to these forums. I seem to have bad luck with these things.. gotta find one that doesnt turn into a mess for me because I love the technology and what ita capable of. I just need them to go easy on me.
    edited May 2019
    I think the most likely cause is simply a bug in the new firmware, so it should be easy to resolve from
    that perspective. But obviously I understand how easy it is to lose confidence in a product like this.

Best of luck with the search. None Ive seen are yet are quite maintenance free unfortunately without spending into the 4 digits on price tag.
    Thanked by 1Apocalypse
    edited May 2019
    Well, I did some testing with my machine and I found the cause of your problem. Normally, Emergency stop should reset the printer, and turn off the heaters, and then stops the processor. On the A5S it turns ON the heaters and then stops the processor... I've messaged JGAurora, hopefully they can fix that and provide a new firmware update soon.
    I think if you want to keep the machine at all you should message them and explain your position. I have no doubt they will more than make it up to you.
    Thanked by 1Apocalypse
  • Shally8810liuShally8810liu Posts: 2Member, 🌏 Official JGAurora Staff 🌏
    Hi,Apocolypse .This is the service representative from JG aurora .Sorry for the inconvenience with JG aurora printer .For the issues as you mentioned above .May I know if this happened with the first printing or after few times printing ?And also for the water ,the bed smell is from the water ?Sorry for so many question .Just how to figure what might happen with the printer .Finally if you can provide me the order details for the printer to register the warranty that will be highly appreciated .Thanks .Shally 
  • Shally8810liuShally8810liu Posts: 2Member, 🌏 Official JGAurora Staff 🌏
    From what you have mentioned above I may presume that the thermistor burnt due to the abnormal temperature and caused for the filament melt inside the hot-end .And can try to power off and power on again to check if the LCD screen will response if you don't mind ,at the same please help to check if the hotbed can heat up normally .Again sorry for the troubles 
    I returned my printer. I think I'm gonna take a break from the hobby for awhile. I have had 2 machines (different companies) fail on me. The first one I went through hell trying to get it to work right and spent a lot of money for nothing. This happened the on the first print after I updated my firmware for information purposes. The smell I'm assuming was coming from whatever was melting on the inside of the print head because it was an electrical smell. The water was not water but the PLA reaching a point so hor it turned into a liquid and was dripping out from the nozzle and vaporizing when it hit the bed. 
  • SomeoneYouLikeSomeoneYouLike Posts: 38🌟 Super Member 🌟
    @Samuel Pinches
    I learned that the hard way. Tried printing something and it failed using JGAURORA stock firmware (warped bed), so I pressed the "EMERGENCY STOP" button using the OctoPrint plugin. Temperatures heated all the way up to 250C And I stopped it right there before it can get any hotter. Got that steam and liquid coming out as well. There needs to be a hotfix on this ASAP. In the meanwhile, I'll make a post about it on the forums. 
    edited May 2019
    I’ve just replied to your new thread. Glad to hear you stopped it in time!
    Thanked by 1SomeoneYouLike