Homeโ€บ JGAurora A5 & A3Sโ€บ Modifications & Upgrades

Capricorn tubing kit

rhaub101rhaub101 Posts: 89๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
edited August 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
would anybody know if this kit will fit the A5? specifically the fittings. Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PS3NH82/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_UAIuDbS48TJM9
Post edited by rhaub101 on

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Fittings, 100% no chance. The JGAurora one are very uncommon, and hard to find.... for that reason I've been selling them myself on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/JGAurora-A3S-Bowden-Connector-Pack/dp/B07GPNCPZ8/

I'm not restocking them - there's 12 left and that's it. After that, people will have to order the (IMHO unreliable) ones from JGAurora in china.
    The bowden tube will fit fine - but there's no advantage to the Capricorn over the stock tubing, unless yours is damaged or kinked.
  • Laser8302Laser8302 Posts: 170Member, ๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    Capricorn tubing is better if you have an E3D V6 in your printer where the bowden tube extends all the way into the throat/heat break. Our stock throat has its own PTFE liner separate from the bowden. I think you might be wasting your money on that kit. I ordered some of the triangle lab PTFE tubing that has a 1.9mm ID, it fist the filament MUCH tighter than the stock tubing. I might try some flexible filament with it later.
    @Laser8302 - how is it better though?
  • rhaub101rhaub101 Posts: 89๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    I have read that it is just more slippery inside than the stock tube. I ordered just the tube with the cutter but not the fittings. It was like $11.00 USD. I needed something else to order with my first roll of PETG anyway to get free shipping. We shall see.
    @Samuel Pinches - Capricorn XS tubing is rated to ~260-290C I believe so you would be able to print PC with it in the heat break.

From the website linked above:
    This Capricorn XS series is safe in 3D printer usage up to 300*C thanks to its proprietary manufacturing methods.

However our heat break has the PTFE tube instered after the bowden.

It would help most in the "clone" version of the E3D V6:

Ours is like the "all metal" version except that it has a PTFE insert instead of being metal to the nozzle like this:

All that being said, this is why I switched to the microswiss throat which doesn't have the PTFE insert. I just need to find the time/energy to swap to a PT100 or PT1000 probe to accuratly measure temperature above 280ยบC.

To back up the need for a PT100, here's a nice chart from trianglelab:

Thanked by 2Gandy Samuel Pinches
    > Capricorn XS tubing is rated to ~260-290C
    This part is actually a dangerous MYTH, and I don't understand why it never seems to die!

ALL PTFE breaks down at higher temperature - they just may break down slower. Even so, the same neuro-toxins are released.

Capricorn's website states planly that there are big risks going above 275, where fumes will be emitted, so proper ventilation is essential to avoid exposure to toxic fumes. I disagree with their assessment of it being "relatively safe" and I am quite surprised that they are confident to make those claims, as that would probably give them some liability.

Temp (Deg C) Will it work? Is it Safe?
    170 YES YES. This temperature is perfectly safe for printing PLA.
    180 YES YES. All good.
    190 YES YES. This is the within the optimal range for printing with PLA and even some ABS.
    200 YES YES. This temperature is perfectly safe for printing PLA.
    210 YES Mostly. There is evidence that even at 202, PTFE can be harmful to pet birds http://buffalobirdnerd.com/clients/8963/documents/Teflon.pdf
    225 YES YES. This is the ideal temperature range for most ABS. When printing ABS, the most danger comes from off-gassing and nanoparticles of the ABS itsself. https://www.dezeen.com/2016/02/16/health-study-reveals-harmful-toxic-effects-hazards-3d-printing-illinois-institute-technology/
    250 YES YES. You should be fine printing slightly higher temp materials lsuch as PETG in this range. (As long as there are no pet birds in the house.)
    275 YES Maybe. At this temperature, PTFE off-gassing has been known to kill pet birds because their cardiovascular system is much more efficient at absorbing toxins than ours. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15&aid=2874 Printing high temperature materials should be done by experienced professionals only. It is still relatively safe to humans and other pets, but it is best to err on the side of caution and always print in a well ventilated area.
    300 Tube lifespan may be shortened Maybe. This is entering the danger zone. Printing at these temps should only be attempted in a well ventilated area. PTFE may start to soften and fail physically after some time. Also, the filament you are printing with may be creating off-gassing as well. We recommend using XS series tubing only above this point, and running the printer in a well-ventilated area.
    340 Tube lifespan will be shortened NO. At this temperature range, the PTFE will eventually deform physically and may cause clogging. We know some people have had success at these temps but we can't promise it will work for any given set up. Printing at these temps should only be attempted in a well ventilated area.
    400+ NO NO. At this temperature range, off-gassing dangerous to humans will be created by both the filament and the PTFE tube, and the life of the tube will certainly be diminished. The authors of this paper performed their tests at 460 C https://www.fluoridealert.org/wp-content/pesticides/teflon.effects.lung.htm We do not recommend printing in this temperature range.

Thanked by 1Gandy
    I see you mention that the 300C claim comes from the reseller. I think that's really appalling, given that at 300C Capricorn states that "This is entering the danger zone".
    Thanked by 2Gandy Laser8302
    Thanks @Samuel Pinches for the info. After seeing this I'm glad I went with the microswiss all-metal throat.
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches