Homeβ€Ί JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2β€Ί Modifications & Upgrades

Firmware upload loop

eyeseyes Posts: 70🌟 Super Member 🌟
edited November 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
I am trying to upload changes to my modified custom community firmware. I have never had any problems before. I have even tried with the official firmware. I am getting Dowload FW success. Then Fat Mount OK over and over again. It is the same no matter what version I tried. My printer is at work and when I came in today I could tell from the computers that the power went out last night.
Could my board be damaged?
Post edited by eyes on
Β«1

Comments

• eyeseyes Posts: 70🌟 Super Member 🌟
    I uploaded a video but I don't know how to show it on this page. It's a download link.
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Your browser does not support the video tag.
    Hi @Eyes, It's pretty unlikely to be a hardware fault. It could just be a corrupted firmware, or corrupted bootloader. Try to format the USB, then try to flash the factory firmware. If that doesn't work, you can flash the ENTIRE firmware (jgaurora bootloader+marlin) using an ST-Link device. They are like $5 and connect via some dupont header cables to the board with a pinout that's on the wiki.
    I'll try that. Does the download for the factory firmware include the bootloader? Also forgot to mention I tried 2 different sd cards. One stopped after it reached 100% - where the other one in the video starts over. Hopefully a format will fix it. Thank you.Β 
    the normal bin does not include the bootloader. I've just uploaded the full firmware for the A1 which you can upload using the ST-Link- yes, it is the wrong printer, but it also includes the bootloader. If it boots, you can just update to the A5S factory firmware (without bootloader) the normal way afterward.

Otherwise, when you build your custom firmware there is a "full firmware" custom firmware file with bootloader that is also created - you can flash that one as well.
    Thank you. I'll give it a try and see what happens.Β 
    ST-link is on the way. How do I use it to upload firmware once I have it connected based on the pinout?
    St-link software can be downloaded from ST website. Please see my tutorial here:Β 

https://jgmakerforum.com/discussion/730/how-to-compile-your-own-custom-marlin-2-0-firmware-for-jgaurora-a5s-and-a1/p1
    I got the ST Link connected and am able to flash the factory firmware you uploaded. It loads and works (I did not try to print since it is the wrong printer's firmware). I then tried to upload the community firmware (just in case something was wring with my build) and I get the white screen on boot. I tried uploading both with the SC card and with the ST Link. I'm not sure what else to do. I also tried the version of my build with the bootloader and I getΒ 
    >Fat mount fail
    >execute firmware...

Any other ideas?

I am going to try a full chip erase. It can't hurt.
    No luck erasing the entire chip before flashing. I can still only get the A1 Full Flash Clone to work.
    Okay, this could suggest some kind of issue with the SD card socket.

Β If you can rebuild a new firmware yourself, there will be two files produced, a file with the bootloader and a file without the boot loader. Then you should be able to flash the file with the boot loader using the ST link, and have that work.

please see the wiki for the links about how to get started and compile your own firmware.

you cannot upload the SD card firmware over ST link because it does not have the boot loader.
    If you get stuck, perhaps I can help on the weekend.
    I tried the one with the bootloader from my build and it didn't work either. So far the only one that has worked is the one you uploaded. My bin files are what I was using before it died. I even tried rebuilding in visual studio and no luck. I forgot to try formatting the SD card like you suggested so I'll try that tomorrow too when I get back to work. Thank you for the offer to help this weekend. My printer is at work and I don't work weekends so hopefully your posts here will help. I'll try my bin with bootloader again and formatting the SD card. Can you upload the community firmware with bootloader? If that works I would know it's a problem with my files.Β 

I have an skr v1.3 board I was using for bltouch support before frezap posted his instructions for using the stock board. If it's my board then I'll just change back to the skr board. I just couldn't use the stock lcd with it so I'dΒ  have to replace that.Β 

Thanks again for your help!
    This is all I have handy right now, can you please try this one:

actually, try this one too:

Thank you I'll try those. Also I forgot to mention I can only get the st-link to connect when the power to the printer is on.Β  I'm assuming this is correct since I'm not connecting at 3.3 volt pin right?
    Yes, that’s correct. That’s been the most reliable method that I’ve found.
    Version A5S_v2.0_en_27-7-19 worked but 2.0D and mine still do not. I wasn't following the directions to unplug the printer and wait, but doing so still doesn't work on either of the other 2. Version 2.0D gives me a white screen and my version gives me firmware upload error.Β Β 
    Trying my version with a new and formatted SD card uploads to 100% then stops and does not go any further.Β 
    >fat mount ok
    >download fw
    file : xxx bytes
    >download FW sucess
    >enter FW...
    I am totally lost now. Stock firmware still works so I don't think they would replace my board.
    I guess my printer is going to get the SKR v1.3 board!
    Where is 2.0D from?
    It's the community firmware. Looking back I see you uploaded beta so 2.0D obviously won't work since it doesn't have the bootloader! I don't know why I didn't load that one. I can try it tomorrow. Assuming beta work to do you have any idea why mine wouldn't? The only thing I can think of that has changed it that Platform IO extension on visual studio tried to update and failed. I deleted and reinstalled it and now it loads. This happened on my laptop and desktop. I wonder if that is the problem? I can try a clean install on a different PC and see what happens.Β 
    If you load one with bootloader via ST-link, then the bootloader should be reinstalled. If installing 2.0D doesn't work via SD card, then there is probably a fault with the SD card cable, SD card socket, or SD card pins on the CPU.

I can probably provide a 2.0D build with bootloader if needed.
    Both of the ones you uploaded work but my compiled one with bootloader does not so it is something on my end. I think it has to do with the PlatformIO plugin for Visual Studio Code. Now I just have to figure out what's wrong.
    Maybe I can help with teamviewer on the weekend
    Thanked by 1eyes
    Next step: I tried compiling Frezap's version from github since I am using BLTouch. I got both files, uploaded the one with bootloader and got FAT mount fail... execute firmware again.
    I won't be near my printer again until work next Monday. If I upload my files can you try compiling on your end and uploading the files? I even tried changing to atom today instead of Visual Studio code. I am linking a zip of my entire directory so I don't miss any files. I you have to do do it I would appreciate it.Β 
    That should say if you have a chance to do it.Β  :)
    if you're near a work computer now I could take a look with teamviewer now?
    Funny at 1:10 when you posted that I was actually awake but with a baby! I'm off Fridays so won't be back to work until Monday. Thank you trying though 😊
    Ahh.... good luck with the bub! :wink:
    Thanks. 2 girls and now a boy - but its been 15 years since the last one!Β 
    Just noticed something on your instructions for ST link programming. You said don't plug in 3.3v but instead power the board by USB. I have USB power blocked so I had to turn on the power supply. That shouldn't make a difference should it? I had some errors on compiling but had them before and it still builds the bin file. I'll post them when I get a chance.Β 

I have given up getting my boardΒ  revived and switching over to the SKR v1.3 board. That combined with drylin bearings should make it much quieter.Β