Home JGAurora A5 & A3S Modifications & Upgrades

Did someone set up autolevel via IR probe? Need some hints..

Hi everyone,
I installed the z-probe linked in the  wiki  (https://jgaurorawiki.com/a5/bed-levelling-probe),  and had everything set up nicely. Seems like it worked out pretty good,  the first 2 small prints  I did were much better than before, the leveling process is running smooth and it seems to be very accurate.

1. Well, but I think my bed is really, really bad warped and i'm under the impression that the 5x5 Grid used for leveling is not enough to iron out all that warping.  Maybe anyone here have already tried to apply a bigger grid for autolevel? What are good values to try? Is it sufficient to change  "#define GRID_MAX_POINTS_X " , or are there additional config options to take into account?

2. Also, when setting the z-offset, I could not lower the nozzle  using e.g. M851 Z-0.5, looks like the command has no effect at all. That would make sense to me because the z-probe is already triggered and therefore prevents the nozzle to go down deeper, but I'm not sure about that. I'm just wondering if anyone else also had problems to find out a good z-offset value?
What works is to set the z-offset in the start g-code after the G28 Home command, so I just guessed a little bit and tried some values manually and started a new print until it finally was good enough. Would have been much easier  when I just could use a piece of paper or the included level card to get a nice offset value, but oh well :D

Ok, thats's all, happy printing guys!

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Great to hear that you had some success!

1. Yes, I'm pretty sure that's all you need to do from memory. I used 4 or 5, you can do 6, but if it is not working for you then it is probably a different problem. In my case. I found that it was the pattern on the bed that was affecting results, which for me was enough for me to abandon the IR probe and go back to a mesh bed level. My mesh bed level with a 5x5 is basically perfect for me. I replaced the springs on the bed with nylon spacers in order to significantly increase the rigidity of the bed assembly.
    2. From memory, you need to re-run the auto level after the M851 command, in order to see any effect. M851 is the probe offset, used to calculate the grid. Changing M851 after performing a level will have no effect.

Happy printing :smile:
    Thanked by 1brill0
  • brill0brill0 Posts: 3Member

> you need to re-run the auto level after the M851 command, in order to see any effect.
    > M851 is the probe offset, used to calculate the grid. Changing M851 after performing a level will have no effect.

wow, yeah, of course.  :|  We got a saying in Germany:  "I couldn't find the forrest because of all the trees in my way."  :#
    thx for pointing that out for me!

> I found that it was the pattern on the bed that was affecting results, which for me was enough for me to abandon the IR probe and go back to a mesh bed level.

Well that would be bad luck for me. I had mesh bed leveling running before, and I needed a 5x5 grid as minimum to have it smooth out the warps and bumps, and I almost could see that a 6x6 grid would be a better option since the bed is really pretty much randomly warped all over the place. I have to relocate the printer from time to time and doing a 36 point manual level every time was not really welcoming to me, so I was looking to get this automated. Guess I need a new plan if a higher grid resolution also doesn't work for me. Maybe  an alternative coating on the glass or something like that would help.

Anyway, thx for your reply, I'm gonna figure all that stuff out right now!

Good luck!! We have that saying too - "I couldn't see the forest for the trees", which means exactly the same :wink:
  • brill0brill0 Posts: 3Member
    >  I replaced the springs on the bed with nylon spacers in order to significantly increase the rigidity of the bed assembly

Do you mind to share a link to those spacers, I searched the wiki but haven't found anything.

>  "I couldn't see the forest for the trees"
    haha, much better than my humble try to translate this saying... That's even more close to how germans say this.

In my case I used 8mm nylon spacers... because I had some handy. If only you owned some kind of device that could create simple shapes of custom size out of plastic easily and quickly...  Hehe... Why not print some? :smiley:

From China: http://r.ebay.com/pIFFKH (choose size M3*7mm*8mm)

• g_pwng_pwn Posts: 29Active Member
    I changed mine to 7 but it did not seem to change the amount of point the auto leveling was actually doing...

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
    @g_pwn
    That variable about the number of points (GRID_MAX_POINTS_X) is in the configuration file in several locations depending on the sensor you are using (or not using, for manual mesh bed levelling) - if you set it in the wrong section, it will not do anything. 
  • woszuwoszu Posts: 21Member
    edited January 2019
    I have a problem with autolevelling with IR Probe.
    This is my start code:

M104 S[first_layer_temperature] ; set extruder temp
    M140 S[first_layer_bed_temperature] ; set bed temp
    G28 ; Home
    M851 Z-0.7 ; Z Offset
    M500 ; Save to Eeprom

G1 Z10 F1000 ;
    G1 X0 Y300 Z10 F3000 ;
    M190 S[first_layer_bed_temperature] ; wait for bed temp
    M109 S[first_layer_temperature] ; wait for extruder temp
    G1 E-5 ; 
    G29 ; Level bed

;prime extruder
    G92 E0 ; Reset extruder length to zero
    G1 X0.0 Y10.0 F3000.0 ; go to edge of print area
    G1 Z0.3 F1000.0 ; Go to Start Z position
    G1 X60.0 E9.0 F500.0 ; intro line
    G1 X100.0 E12.5 F500.0 ; intro line
    G92 E0.0 ; reset extruder distance position
    G1 X140 E-2 F10000
    G92 E0.0 ; reset extruder distance position

Unfortunately, the nozzle on the left side of the bed is lower and on the right higher.

When leveling, I use a spacing pad under one of the points, it takes it into account when printing, so the leveling function does work, but he test track prints badly ...

Even whan I manually bed level from LCD, and nozzle is correctly aligned with the table, after auto levelling is bad again..........

Have you any idea?

Post edited by woszu on
  • Der_MuckDer_Muck Posts: 265🌟 Super Member 🌟
    For me the IR probe was a bad idea, it simply failed everytime and I changed to the BLtouch.
    On the JG Hotbed, the IR probe doesnt work at all.
    Search for my forum thread, you can find everything I tryed to get it work there. I never got it under control.
  • woszuwoszu Posts: 21Member
    edited January 2019
    but I have a magnetic plate. There is no diamond glass only
    Post edited by woszu on
  • Der_MuckDer_Muck Posts: 265🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Ah ok, I also had the feeling that the leveling was mirrored but never found out what cause it, sorry.