Home JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2 Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Model sticks to bed like a rock

I'm brand new to 3D printing. I have watched a million videos and have only printed 3 models. The first one stuck so much that I had to remove the blue tape hoping it would remove the print. No luck. The same thing happened with print #2 and print #3. I am now printing on the glass. I clean the glass with alcohol and carefully level the bed. the prints come out fine but I can't remove them unless I reheat the bed and slowly jiggle the print. Are there any other discussions that cover this problem? Would appreciate help.

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Welcome @jerrye1000 !
    It's refreshing to hear about someone who is having problems removing prints rather than problems getting them to stick. Typically, the parts should practically detach themselves once the bed has cooled down to room temp fully.

Firstly, which plastic material are you trying to print? PETG is problematic in particular, and I do NOT recommend PETG on the diamond glass surface, as pulling the part can actually pull chunks out of the glass! Instead I recommend a thin print surface on top like PEI, or a magnetic bed sticker. The diamond glass surface works well for PLA and ABS.

If the print has a large contact area with the bed it can indeed be hard to remove prints from the bed. However, once it starts to release, it should all come off easily. For cases like that I use a razor blade to lever up a corner, and then the part releases easily.

Heating the bed is not recommended, as what you are actually doing is softening the print material, and typically results in deforming your printed part in the release process.

• Stephen ToddStephen Todd Posts: 281🌟 Super Member 🌟
    I'd use glue stick or water diluted PVA wood glue on the bed - the "film" will be pulled off with the part, then you can scrape the rest of the "film" from the bed easily
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    PVA is good as it cleans off nicely with warm water too.
  • ishtobishtob Posts: 13Member
    for PETG i flip the black diamond bed over to the other side, blue painter tape + 2 layers of stick glue. I find the PETG sometimes still able to bond permanently to the painter tape if I only use 1 layer of glue.