Homeโ€บ JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2โ€บ Getting Started & Troubleshooting

Any way to install custom firmware via USB

I recently bought the A5S and am facing problems with the official firmware and bed leveling. So i wanted to install custom firmware but then i realized that my sd card reader is not working. So is there a way to install custom firmware via USB

Comments

• Stephen ToddStephen Todd Posts: 281๐ŸŒŸ Super Member ๐ŸŒŸ
    edited January 2020
    I tried to upgrade the firmware using USB and cura - trashed my bootloader (maybe because I did not unplug LCD cable), so then I bought a cheap programmer that connects to header pins of Gen L controller board - that worked fine re-installing the bootloader

If the new board in A5s has the header pins and you trash the bootloader using cura, get the programmer - they are cheap, and much easier than arduino and jumper wires that can also do the job

Post edited by Stephen Todd on
    I got one like the Hobby Components

In Cura, settings/printer/manage printers - click the "update firmware" box

• icyquagaicyquaga Posts: 3Member
    Im kinda new so im unable to understand what ur trying to say. Is their any easier way tp do that. Anyways thanks
  • JGAuroraJGAurora Posts: 4Member, ๐ŸŒ Official JGAurora Staff ๐ŸŒ
    What is your machine model ? If your machine is A5S , you only copy the firmware to sd card .then you reboot the machine and it will automatically finis updating .
    Yes - easy way is use cura and USB - but there is a risk that the bootloader (install program) which is needed to load new firmware will be trashed by cura - the bootloader is already flashed inside the processor of the controller board

It may not happen - but if it does, you can re-install the bootloader by other means - so if flashing goes wrong, your controller board is not bricked

To install new firmware, load cura slicer, go to settings, then printer, then manage printers - you will see a box "update firmware" - that is where you update the new community firmware to the controller board via USB
  • Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    edited January 2020
    @icyquaga - no you cannot upgrade firmware on A5S over USB. You will need to fix the SD card issues. Please check the SD card cable is fully connected internally.

Post edited by Samuel Pinches on