DIY A5 Programmable Power Supply Control

AETEKAETEK Posts: 106🌟 Super Member 🌟
edited July 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades
Hello,
I've just released a new project for the A5 in the wiki:

Post edited by Samuel Pinches on

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Wow, thats a phenomenal amount of effort - nice work!

I don't know if a newbie will be comfortable working with mains wiring, but this does make the printer safer, as then the main motherboard can shut the power off in the case of an error. This modification fixes the vulnerability of fire risk from a mosfet failing and being stuck on. πŸ‘
  • AETEKAETEK Posts: 106🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Hello,
    you may not have seen: classification professional.
    I have indicated a degree of difficulty in all my projects.
    I also have one for beginners in the wiki.
    But you can see what is feasible.
    Thanked by 1Samuel Pinches
  • seafianseafian Posts: 20🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Hi Aetek,
    on your photos of the modification I saw, that you have the original protective earth wiring as the A5 comes with.
    What do you think of doing an additional connection of protective earth to the case part(s) as well?
    It just comes to my mind, that I did it to the bottom case part only on my machine, not to the upper one ... forgotten - :o
    Hello Seafian,
    please read my first (updated) post in this thread. Then you know my solution.
    Also forgot to say: Nice idea - really worth of doing that.
    And as alternative to do the tricky modification on the rocker switch for momentary action it would be possible to build in an additional (momentary) pushbutton for mains activation in parallel to the rocker switch, So you can decide if you turn the A5 on permanently with the rocker switch or have it under printer control by the pushbutton.
    How do you see that, did I miss something there?
    br
    Andreas
    edited July 2018
    By pressing the momentary switch the A5 stays on until it gets a command to switch off or the firmware detects a security problem and switches the A5 off.
    Post edited by AETEK on
    Yes, thats the intended function of your whole modification and that's nice. The command for switching off comes either from the touch panel or is included in the printing G-code

I was rather thinking of adding a standard mains capable pushbutton in parallel to the original rocker switch in order to avoid the possibly difficult rocker switch modification towards a momentary rocker switch.
    But I'm maybe thinking still too complicated also:
    If I understand your circuit right, it's just about pressing the power switch as long as the A5 takes control on the solid state relay and keeps it activated as long as needed or commanded.
    If you leave the original rocker switch as is and build the modification, then you can start the printer by switching the rocker switch to on until the printer beeps and turn it off then, this takes the same time and action as holding the modified rocker switch in on position until the printer beeps and takes control.

just my 2 cents
    Cheers
    Andreas
    edited July 2018
    >>
    If I understand your circuit right, it's just about pressing the power switch as long as the A5 takes control on the solid state relay and keeps it activated as long as needed or commanded.
    If you leave the original rocker switch as is and build the modification, then you can start the printer by switching the rocker switch to on until the printer beeps and turn it off then, this takes the same time and action as holding the modified rocker switch in on position until the printer beeps and takes control.<<

Yes, that's how it works.

You can replace the rocker switch with a decent montary switch with a different design (for example a round version). But I did not want to drill on my new A5.

Cheers

Thanked by 1seafian
    Post edited by AETEK on