Home JGAurora A5S, A1 & A3S-V2 Modifications & Upgrades

Custom Community Firmware for A5S & A1

Comments

• Samuel PinchesSamuel Pinches Posts: 2,997Administrator
    Thanks @ignaciofrutos - I've fixed the problem that you encountered, so hopefully other people won't have the same problem next time. Cheers, Sam
  • Hole23Hole23 Posts: 5Member
    Hi. I had problems with octopi on the Official Firmware, so I flashed this Custom community firmware. It works quite well and it works with octopi.
    I noticed that the Bed light flashes very frequently. I think that it will be better to put a threshold for the temperatures (ex. +/- 0.5 °C)
    @Hole23
    Thanks for your feedback.
    The bed light flashing quickly is a feature not a bug. With the custom firmware we are controlling the bed via PID control, rather than basic "bang bang" control. This results in much more stable bed temperatures as result, and also reduces bed breathing, as the bed physically warps when the heater is on, and warps back when the heater is off.

See here:

edited July 2019
    First official release of custom firmware for A5S & A1! Code has been submitted to marlin 2.0 project, so will be easy to stay up to date with future progress! I've prepared a few builds in different languages too. Let me know if there a different language you would prefer.

Download First Release Firmware (V2.0 - 29/7/19)
    Thanked by 1Shawn
    Post edited by Samuel Pinches on
  • rifleman_btxrifleman_btx Posts: 2Member
    Will you be working on filament runout? and power fail restart soon?
    Well, they are the next goals, but I will be away for August, so will have to come back to look at those features in Sept. I don’t know that power fail resume will be easy, but the filament run out should be straight forward.
  • rifleman_btxrifleman_btx Posts: 2Member
    that works for me.
  • ShawnShawn Posts: 1Member
    Thank you for the new firmware! So far it is working great and my touchscreen is much more responsive with this new version. Do you know if it will be possible to add a BLtouch to this board? I have searched the forum but can't find a yes or no answer.
    Welcome @Shawn !
    Honest answer: I don’t know yet. We had one attempt that didn’t work, but I hope to try again one day down the track. No promises.
    Thanked by 1eyes
  • eyeseyes Posts: 70🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Ok. I'll wait and see how it goes. I can live without it but it's great for unified bed leveling. 
  • Frank01xFrank01x Posts: 20Member

Hi to the community,

I own a JGAurora A5S since April 2019 and have printed various things, mostly PLA, without any problems with the original firmware.

At the end of July, at the end of a project, I wanted to change the firmware to the Marlin version of Samuel to use bed mesh leveling. After a test print had succeeded, I saw that a new update was available for download at the end of July. With this latest version, I can no longer print, because the Nozzle after the leveling and saving the configuration, the print bed damaged! I use the JG Slicer (a modified version of Cura). The start code entered there reads:

G28                                 ; Home

M420 S1

G1 Z15.0 F6000              ; Move the platform down 15mm  Prime the extruder

G92 E0

G1 F200 E10

G92 E0

Does anyone know this problem? I am full of hope!

(My native language is german, sorry!)

@Frank01x - thanks to you, I identified an issue with the saving of the settings. I have fixed this issue and there is now a new build "v2.0a" available for download.

Thank you Samuel, I will test it.

• chainbreaker2012chainbreaker2012 Posts: 30Member, 🌟 Super Member 🌟
    Samuel Pinches if I may ask what did you find? I am curious lol
    There were bugs in the code that writes the settings to the SD card. I fixed those and made a new build. The latest build "2.0C) works perfectly for me now :smiley:
    Hi Samuel,
    Thank you for your efforts! I am aware that you are doing a great job with a lot of sense of responsibility for a large community.
    However, a change in the firmware for the A5S has not led to the hoped for success. I have now quite calm the version V2.0c, released 3/8/19, loaded on my printer and the print bed properly two times adjusted and saved the configuration. The EEPROM data will no longer be written to the SD card. An attempted test print failed again because the adjustment information appears to be ignored by the printer and the print head (Z-axis) wants to start printing too deeply. Why does the firmware ignore the leveling. I have not changed my start code.
    Tomorrow is my birthday and it would be the greatest gift for me if I could print normally again.
    Thanks also to the community!

edited August 2019
    Dear @Frank01x,

Firstly - Happy birthday!

Lets troubleshoot the problem step by step.

1. Format the SD card
    2. Perform mesh bed levelling
    3. Check that you can edit the mesh
    4. Check that the bed levelling is enabled
    5. Save the configuration using the Store Settings button
    6. Restart the printer (off 10 seconds, then turn on)
    7. Home the axis
    Question 1: has the saved mesh been loaded?
    8. Put the SD card in a computer.
    Question 2: Is there an EEPROM.dat file created on the SD card?

Now, I am aware of a possible issue when there are no files on the SD card! Please copy a .gcode file to the  SD card, and repeat steps 2-8. Is there any difference?

Question 3: Can you please post your start gcode settings here? Or provide a .gcode file that you are using for testing?

Thank you for your patience to help us diagnose the issue :)
    Dear Samuel,

thank you, the birthday is tomorrow.
    Ok, here are the results:
    1. Format the SD card                                   (OK)
    2. Perform mesh bed leveling                        (OK) - Photo 1
    3. Check that you can edit the mesh            (Yes, I can) - Photo 2, Photo 4
    4. Check that the bed leveling is enabled            (?)
    5. Save the configuration using the Store Settings button   (OK) Photo 3
    6. Restart the printer (off 10 seconds, then turn on)            (OK)
    7. Home the axis                                                                  (OK)
    Question 1: Has the saved mesh been loaded?                  (Yes) Photo 5
    8. Put the SD card in a computer. (OK)
    Question 2: Is there an EEPROM.dat file created on the SD card?
                                                                                     (No created EEPROM.dat)
    Now, I am aware of a possible issue when there are no files on the SD card! Please copy a .gcode file to the SD card, and repeat 6-8. Is there any difference?                  (No difference)

Question 3: Can you please post your gcode settings here? Or provide a .gcode file that you are using for testing?
                                                                      (stringingTest.gcode   is coming)                    

I have not made a printer test out of respect.

edited August 2019
    Thank you for your reply. Ok, please try firmware v2.0D.
    Hi Samuel,

Thank you for the good cooperation, despite the time difference.
    Before I get a failure very quickly, I would like to ask if I should additionally level again with the latest firmware v2.0D? Or can I assume that the last level values would have to be stored in the EEPROM?

A supplementary question: I have now updated my printer with the latest firmware 2.0D, released 4/8/19 from a newly formatted SD card. After the update process, the firmware was no longer available on the SD card. Instead, a new EEPROM.DAT! Was that intended? If yes, why?

edited August 2019
    You will have to level again unfortunately. This firmware takes the data that is normally stored in an eeprom chip and stores it in a file “eeprom.dat” on the SD card. In rev 2.0C, this file was not being correctly created if it was missing.

There is an eeprom chip on the A5S but it contains data for the original firmware which we don’t want to touch.

We are also working toward saving the settings on the CPU flash memory (where the firmware itself is stored) but this has too many bugs to use at the moment.

For now, if 2.0D works, this will be likely the last firmware version till mid September.
    Ok I understand. The EEPROM.DAT file should therefore generally be present on the SD card, together with the print data (GCODE files)?
    I will level the bed and then do a test.
    Thank you!

edited August 2019
    Yep :) Happy printing and happy birthday from me 😉
    Hi Samuel,
    I have not printed yet but have been trying to look for contradictions after leveling.
    Results:
    First leveling and saving the configuration:
    In the info menu, the axes had the following values:
    X   -5.0
    Y    1.0
    Z   -0.63
    Then I switched off the printer for 15 sec, switched on it again, brought the print head to home position (Home XYZ) and checked the values in the Info menu.
    X   -5.0
    Y    1.0
    Z    0.0       !!!!!
    -------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------- ----
    Second level and save the configuration:
    In the info menu, the axes had the following values:
    X   -5.0
    Y    1.0
    Z   -0.73
    Activities as above
    X   -5.0
    Y    1.0
    Z    0.0       !!!!!

Looking at the EEPROM.DAT, I found that this file seemed pretty virgin. Apparently she was not described. Is that possible? (See the photo)

edited August 2019
    A few comments:
    • You will need to enable levelling - either in the bed levelling menu, or in your start gcode settings (M420 S1).
    • You can check the mesh has loaded from eeprom and examine the coordinates of the mesh in the menu too.
    • The printer has no internal real time clock. It has no idea of what time it is, so this is the default time that is used.
    • The eeprom.dat file size should be about 4KB.
    • I think you should try a print. :smile:

• Sparky478Sparky478 Posts: 3Member
    edited August 2019
    Hi Samuel,

I just want to make sure that I understand, so I have a few questions for clarity:

(1) After going through the bed leveling process and saving the EEPROM.DAT file to the SD card, does that file just need to remain on the card for every subsequent print to ensure the mesh leveling is applied each time?

(2) If so, does it matter if there's multiple gcode files on that same card?

(3) Also, will that automatically trigger the bed leveling to be enabled as long as each gcode file has M420 S1 in it?

(4) And finally, if the printer is shut off or unplugged, will the bed leveling need to be repeated or will it be good as long as the .DAT file is being used and the machine has not been physically altered in the process?

Thank you very much for all of your help!

Tim
    Post edited by Sparky478 on
    @Sparky478 - welcome to the forum!

(1) as long as the file is there, the settings will be automatically loaded when the printer is turned on.

(2) you can have as many files folders as you want, just don’t touch or move that one eeprom.dat file

(3) mesh bed levelling corrections are normally off after homing. You can enable the correction through the bed levelling menu, but I think the most reliable way is to put M420 S1 after G28 in the start script - which should be the case by default if you’re using Cura :)

(4) after levelling, make sure you save the settings, and they will be written to the file. Then those settings will be automatically loaded when the printer starts up. There should be no need to level again or change settings after booting each time.
    Thanked by 1Sparky478
    Hi Samuel,

the print head generally moves too low towards the print bed, further damaging the print bed.
    I have adjusted the print bed two more times, taking note of all the instructions from you. I have made sure that the leveling is always on. After adjusting the bed I always saved the configuration. However, I can not recognize a write to the file EEPROM.DAT. The modification date was always 01.01.2000 00:00.
    Then I formatted another SD card and the bed again leveled. A new EEPROM.DAT has been formed. In the Edit net menu, the z-value is always 0.35. This is also the case when I turn off the printer and homing after power on.

In the info menu, the Z value is 0. I hope, it is correct.
    The start code in the slicer contains the line M420 S1. See attached file.

With this new SD card, I did another printer test again. Unfortunately without success.

Dear Frank,

I'm really sorry, this is very disappointing. Can you please send me your EEPROM.dat?